Search This Blog

Thursday, August 1, 2013

a Note from a Rabbit Hole~


I've been in a very reflective mood during the past few weeks. I get this way sometimes but it's always predictable that it will happen at this time of the year. As you grow older, you might learn that once a year at about the same time, you get reflective too.

Overlooking the vastness of Metro BKK


If you've done a fairly good job of living your life, these times aren't too upsetting. If you've made a few mistakes, it's mostly okay.

If you've made a lot of mistakes, you go down a deep, dark rabbit hole that's hard to find your way out of.

I often find myself down that rabbit hole around the end of July --- my birth month.

It's important to keep looking forward in life, but that's not always easy to do. Sometimes you can't help but look back. If you've screwed back a lot, those looks back can be pretty painful.

The best way to avoid this kind of narcissistic, self-flagellating navel gazing is to make good decisions in the first place. That's not always easy to do, but it's possible. I've discovered that when you are facing a big decision, somewhere deep in your brain or in your gut or whatever, you know what the best decision is... unfortunately the less deep parts of your anatomy have a lot of skill in taking your smarter bits into making stupid decisions.



just the three of us. <3
after the 12-hr train ride from Kuala Lumpur  to Hat Yai, Thailand.
.


Realizing that my life was stagnant, my 'work-life' that was, I decided to take a step away from my comfort zone. Literally, it was a step away but not really that far, since BKK isn't far from the Philippines. ^_^ --- but the important thing was, I did it. Together with two other friends, Mark Lester and May Grace, we decided to leave the country to find a more challenging life in a different place. Leaving behind the easy-go-lucky life back home. Leaving behind the nights of coffee, tea or beer in the most familiar places where I was a habitue. ...


Now that I'm here, surrounded by skyscrapers and condos everywhere, I feel like I belong. My system is slowly adapting to this new kaleidoscopic life. Catching bus rides (some are free :)  ) and bask in  free wifi signals all over the metro. 

Metro Bangkok at night



One night at the highest sky bar in the world (my 30th birthday) -- SIROCCO

the Golden Temple near Khao San Road, BKK

 Sometimes it's enough to make you want to take a hat pin to your pre-frontal cortex. I mean, why not? There are lots of people out there who seem to function fine with just their lizard brain to guide them. They're probably a lot happier.

I know I'm probably not making much sense right now, and I apologize for that. What I, as a 30-year-old person, have to tell you, is to make the best choices you can. Don't discount your gut feelings, intuition and first impressions --- they're often right.

We humans evolved those traits over a thousand of years because they help us survive. It'S that part of the brain that keeps us from eating poisonous things, jumping off of high places and trying to snuggle with wild animals. Those are the skills that you need to survive in a hostile world. Mind you, there are people who insist on doing stupid things, but evolution tends to weed a lot of folks out over time.

----But there are a lot of folks who don't listen to those inner voices that keep us safe. They're the ones you find splattered on the pavement from time to time --- either literally or figuratively.

So from the depths of my rabbit hole in this reflective period, let me offer u this bit of advice: Listen to your gut from time to time. that might just keep you from having your guts splattered all over the pavement.

walking home from work <3


or maybe not. what the heck do I know, anyway?


                                                                                                          ---lee.





~o0o~


No comments:

Post a Comment